Sunday, June 22, 2008

Things I've come to appreciate in life...

Recently there have been some things in my life I've come to appreciate. Here is a quick list of some of those things...

1. A nice cut of steak. BEW and I went for a nice supper at the Moose Factory this past Friday for our "date" night and we each ended up ordering Bison strip loin. Not being a good judge of what a "good" meat is, I ordered the strip loin (I only for sure know that T-Bones and Prime Rib steaks are good, the rest, meh, not too sure). Anyways, my steak came out as I requested (medium rare), however it was tougher than rubber! Fortunately BEW's piece was less tough, so I'm glad he was able to enjoy his meal.

Tonight we served AAA Top Sirloin steaks to our friends (sorry for friends and family were not invited...no worries, soon enough we'll have you over too) and boy was I glad that the meat was quite tender and not at all chewy or tough to swallow.

Lesson: Don't be cheap and opt for the cheap meats. Always spend the money when it comes to meat.

2. My neighbourhood's garbage men. BEW and I recently finally got around to cleaning and sorting out my garage. I threw away a lot of crap and got rid of a lot of the carpeting that was in my garage from the previous owner (it was a scrap of carpet used for covering the cement floor in order for it to be more comfortable if you had to go out and get something from the garage in bare feet). Anyways, we had quite a bit of carpet we wanted the garbage men to take, but KEY didn't seem to think they would take a big rolled up piece away, but rather, would leave it for us to take to an Eco station or the dump. But on her advice, she said we could try to cut up the carpet into little squares (2'x3' or so) and see if they'd take the smaller pieces as it would likely be easier for them to lift. Sure enough, they took it ALL. In total, we had probably 4 boxes full of garbage as well as a garbage can full of regular garbage and about 4 rolls of carpeting for them to take. Kudos and many thanks to them as if they didn't haul it away, who knows how long this garbage would be sitting in my garage!

Side note: Kudos to the recycling guys as well. We had about 3 bags of recycled stuff to be hauled and those bags magically disappeared as well! Can you tell I'm thoroughly impressed? Would it be inappropriate to buy these hard working individuals a Christmas gift this year? What a thankless job they have...

3. Air conditioning in vehicles. BEW's very basic vehicle does not have A/C. I'm usually quite warm by nature, therefore with plus 20+degree weather, usually it makes me quite uncomfortable. To sit in his vehicle is torture, so unless it's cooler outside (late evening) or it's been raining, I usually prefer to use my vehicle for this reason alone!

4. Friends and family. This weekend alone, I've entertained (with BEW's help of course) twice. It's nice to sit back and relax and catch up with friends and family who are normally very busy as well. It's these down times that are precious to me and I really enjoy them. It was also nice for BEW on day 2 of entertaining as he had friends play the Wii with him (I don't typically enjoy playing the Wii too often).

What are some things you appreciate in your life?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHOA! You actually updated your blog after...an average of one post a year?! I totally came here on a whim, and lo and behold, there are two new posts.

To clarify, I didn't say to cut the carpet into squares, but into 3 ft long rolls, something more manageable for the collectors. Cutting into squares would take forever!

As for meat, you usually get what you paid for. Sobeys has some bison steaks on sale this week - I'll have to check it out.

And things that I appreciate - LOTS of stuff, but they include hubby (if he's considered a "thing", ahaha!), microwaves and toaster ovens, a good meal and a well organized room/area :)