Sunday, February 12, 2006

Traditional Ukrainian Perogy Supper

I felt so special when one of my member's called me up specifically to attend their first perogy supper of the year. They wanted me to go see the new edition to the church (which I assisted by approving financing) as well as to join them for supper. This was on Friday.

Seeing as how I have absolutely NO Ukrainian blood in me, I wasn't sure what the protocol was. I checked around my office and they said generally it's very informal...you show up, and then you leave. That's it. I figured it was low key enough I could handle it (and one of my coworkers said she'd go with me). This made it a little less intimidating for me.

I arrive at the church shortly after 4:30pm and there are already several people chowing down. Now you have to understand, this church has a pretty old c0ngregation...but that I mean if you're 52 (which one of my coworkers is and he so happens to attend this church), you're considered YOUNG! Haha...anyways...I show up there and look for familiar faces.

I finally find one of the guys that was in charge of the construction of the new addition to the church. He asks if I want to eat first or take the tour first...but without letting me even answer, he takes me on the tour first...okay then...

You should've seen the pride in the faces of the leaders of the church that were showing me around! It was sooo awesome as these guys that were showing me around, they actually helped start the church in the 1950's. It was great to see someone so proud of their premises, to the point where they even showed me their new furnace room!

Anyways, long story short, the visit went well and I had my first HOME MADE perogy supper as a church function! They were soooo good...seriously, thank goodness I wasn't born Ukrainian otherwise I'd be one fat Ukrainian lady! I felt honored that they'd even think about inviting me, the banker...yes they must like me! Haha, but being liked isn't always a good thing...they've already told me when they do their grand opening/unveiling in June I will be invited along with some other "dignitaries" such as the Mayor as well as people from the Alberta government. Great...at least I'll be able to drag my coworker with me to keep me company (they told her to come with me)!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sounds Delicious Girl. Yum, authentic Ukrainian food. I sure miss it. Leaving in Veggievile and working at Two Bumps game me many oppurtunities for the old "Baba" to make me home made dishes. I'm surprised I didn't gain 100 pounds that year.

Anonymous said...

What the.... I didn't do that! The computer publish my comment 4 times!!! Not my fault!

Vanilla Con said...

Haha...Wacky you must've really wanted to comment on my blog! Just kidding...I at least deleted the 3 other repeat comments of yours!

Mrs. Loquacious said...

You'd think that by being married into a German-Ukrainian family, I would get to partake in fabulous homemade perogy dinners. No such luck...or, perhaps, I'm very lucky. I don't need more padding on my frame ;)

I *do* get some great Ukrainian food at Easter though, so I am not complaining. =)