Thursday, March 16, 2006

Incompetence

I went shopping with a co-worker after work yesterday. We went to the big mall and surprisingly it was busy (for a weeknight)! My girlfriend had to purchase a gift for a guy friend of hers so we went into stores I would NEVER go into out of my own free will. We were in the likes of Urban Men and Urban Woman (is it 'man' or 'men' and 'woman' or 'women'?...anyways), Abercrombie and Fitch, Forever 21 and so on and so forth. Of course I got to go to my usual stores too (Old Navy, Fairweather, Gap and even Laura--since I've been teased sooo badly as of recent). But much to my dismay I didn't find anything, but my girlfriend did.

Anyways, why my title you ask?!? With Alberta being in such an economic boom, Tim Hortons and the like are paying decent money for someone to pour coffee...well, the same is true for some of these stores.

We went into a specialized car store as my girlfriend wanted to purchase some air freshener refill for her Rav 4. She's been stalking this store since Christmas and everytime she's gone to the big mall, they've been out of stock. Apparently this type of refill is in very high demand. So she asked the guy at the counter when they were expecting some more of these refills and he indicated that they order once every 2 or 3 months and so her best way of guaranteeing a refill is if she were to order it in (at no extra cost to her, why wouldn't she?)! She just had to ensure she pay for the refills up front, which are quite costly ($12 each!). So she was ready to pay for 2 refills when (who I believe to be one of the owners of the store) offered to open one of the packages and sell her the refill from that pack and he would replace the refill once their order came in! Now HOW NICE IS THAT?!? But of course, my girlfriend, pushing her luck as she always does, asked for 2 refills! Much to my shock, they guy opened another pack and sold her the refill from there! Talk about service or what?!?

Unfortunately this positive experience was quickly negated by her next experience...

After much walking around the mall, she decided to get her friend a sports hoodie...the zip up type. She went to pay for the hoodie and she specifically told the young, 15 year old, greasy, overweight boy (and I'm not even saying that to be mean...it's all true) that she wanted a gift receipt for the hoodie just in case it didn't fit or he preferred something else. This kid kept saying, "yup, yup, for sure..."...well, apparently that means, "I have no freaking clue how to properly process your request but I'm gonna pretend I know how anyways and proceed without asking anybody for help." He rang the item through and she paid via credit card. He handed her the receipt. She asked which one was the gift receipt and he says, "oh shoot...I'm gonna have to call my manager to help me." So off went this kid and he returned with the so-called manager of the store. She explained the situation and the manager says, "We can't give you a gift receipt after the transaction is completed."

So my girlfriend, still being nice asked to return the purchase and have them re-ring it into the till and then to provide her with a gift receipt. The manger then proceeded to tell her with his accented English that all of a sudden, these so-called "new tills" don't print gift receipts. For anyone who has ever bought a present for someone, you would know that this guy is full of crap! More like he was too lazy to read up on how to print a receipt!!!

My girlfriend, being more composed than I would've been, simply told him "that's stupid" and said she wanted a full refund on her purchase. The guy proceeded to refund her the funds onto her credit card and didn't even apologize. Meanwhile the original sales kid was standing around useless and watching this whole situation with his mouth open.

The point of this story is...you have good sales people who will bend over backwards to accomodate a customer and then you have these idiots at FOOTLOCKER who have no idea what customer service actually means. Maybe the stupid employees of FOOTLOCKER should reconsider their stellar choice of career...maybe instead of dealing with the public, they should be food court maids, gathering trays and emptying garbage and stuff, where you don't have to communicate with the general public . I think I saw an ad in the Journal for a food court maid...but wait a sec...I think these idiots are not qualified for those positions...

Incompetent people REALLY annoy me...can you tell??

4 comments:

Mrs. Loquacious said...

I can sympathize, Vanilla. Perhaps now you can better understand all those years that I've spent ranting at service-providers ;)

My motto: Do your job well or else don't bother.

Anonymous said...

Hm, I understand your frustration with workers that seem lazy and stupid... but you don't need to insult those who work in the custodian field.

Just because they work at a mall cleaning up after people doesn't mean that they aren't intelligent or unable to do other forms of work. After all, remember what Mom and Dad did for ~15 years of their life? Be careful how you say things sometimes...

Vanilla Con said...

Relax Yuk Fai...I only used a position in the custodian field simply because that's the first job I could think of that doesn't require much human interaction!

Sheesh...

Anonymous said...

How funny that all the Mah sisters share the same intense hatred of poor service providers. Does it come from Dad Mah or MomMah?

I also avoid Superstore but more
for its post-apocalyptic homeless shelter nature rather than its borderline lobotimized cashiers and aisle cleaners.